I’ve been putting this off for a little while, hey, I had a holiday hangover okay? But here they are, etched in the ethereal stone of the interwebs to simultaneously uplift and torment me throughout the course of the year, my 2013 resolutions…
- Priority number 1 this year- finish the damn book. While I got to put a neat little bow on things, finishing my first draft on December 7, I still have a ways to go. I’ve got to read through it, reorganize it and trim a lot of fat. A realistic goal for this, I think, is April 1. I’d like to have a presentation-ready copy to shop around by June 1.
- Read. More. Lots and lots. Makin’ it rain books up in here. And short stories. I’d like to say I’ve read 30 by the end of this year. With a full time job and all my other bidness this feels doable, given that I lay off the TV.
- More of this. This thing right here. Bloggin’. I’d like to do more than two a week so that it stays relevant and builds audience. Minimum of two per week and it starts this (short) week. So I have to get busy.
- Twitter- I go back and forth on the value of this, practically daily. I’ve made some interesting connections with couple of famous authors but frankly, at least in the writer’s realm, communication rarely goes beyond one-way, ie, people promoting their stories, talking about writing their stories, complaining about their bm’s etc. There’s not a ton of two way communication that happens. There’s potential there though and I am willing to admit that I may be doing it wrong and I have a lot more to learn.
- This next one’s a biggie for me and makes my palms sweat just thinking about it… public speaking. I need to start getting some practice, go to Toastmasters, something to get over my crippling fear of speaking in front of a crowd. After all, if my goal is to be a successful author, I need to be able to give readings and answer questions afterwards. I’d prefer to do it without stuttering, being flushed, sweating, crying, wetting myself or sitting in the corner muttering.
- Start my second project… I’ve got two strong ideas (hey, they’re strong to me!) contending for my next novel. I’d like to start that and preferably work on it while I’m editing the other.
- Short stories- this is an important medium and completely different from novel writing. I’m actually kind of intimidated to write shorts, they’re just so… concise! Given my other goals, this one might get put on the back burner for a little while longer but I’d like to say by the end of this year that I’ve written at least three short stories that are publication ready.
- Sell at least one book to one stranger before the end of the year.
So am I completely off my nut? Do you think these are realistic or am I biting off more than I can chew? What are your writing goals for the year?