It’s Friday, and not a day too soon. As I send you off into your weekend, keep the image of fire in space close to your heart.
- io9 has an interesting read about how the Mir Space Station was almost destroyed in a fire. Some of my favorite takeaways were the descriptions of how fire works in space, “fire looks different in space — it forms a gas-lined sphere. The fire aboard Mir, however, created a close quarters blowtorch…”
- This link will only be relevant for what I’m going to say today: Teefury has a cute t-shirt that is a nod to Scalzi’s Red Shirts.
- Over a game of Ticket to Ride and Fluxx last night, friend Eiki pointed me towards the soothing engine noise of the star ship Enterprise (TNG era). 24 freaking hours of it.
- Brandon Sanderson decided to do a video documenting how his writing process goes, inspired by the cover artist from his previous novel. WARNING: this clip is probably achingly boring unless you’re a writer or a Brandon Sanderson fan.
- Hugo Award winning author Jim C. Hines shares the nitty gritty details of his income for this year and the past several. As an aspiring author it’s fascinating to get this behind the scenes look at how people make it happen.
— Tor.com (@tordotcom) February 1, 2013