It’s Monday. I hate it. You hate it. Let’s hug it out.
- io9 shares their 10 Writing Rules that they wish more genre novels would break. Some of the highlights:
- No third person omniscient. I couldn’t agree more. There’s been a trend for a decade or more of first person or limited third. I’d love to see a change back or even a balance in stories told from different viewpoints.
- No unsympathetic characters. Listen, no one liked Sauron and somehow the Lord of the Rings still found success.
- I think the takeaway for writers here is that there are some tropes that are used ad nauseum. Make sure your idea is a compelling one before aping what’s come before.
- The Glitter & Madness kickstarter has hit nearly $6000 of the $15k that they need and only 12 days left. It’s a great idea for an anthology and I hope that they get their funding.
- Drunk Hulk took to heart the message from the poem read by Paul Harvey in that Dodge commercial.
DRUNK HULK JUST BUY TWO FARMERS! THANKS PAUL HARVEY!
— DRUNK HULK (@DRUNKHULK) February 4, 2013