What day is it… Wednesday? A bounty of genre related news this morning and some good writing advice wedged in there too. Oh, and Superman might become a homophobe.
- Kate Baker is piloting John Scalzi’s blog for the next several days and she shares a big idea from Jamie Mason, specifically talking about her new book Three Graves Full. She talks about her theory of the “liar’s margin,” the sort of area that we go to in order to justify our actions to ourselves and that allows us to wiggle in the face of hard facts. Interesting idea, and the novel sounds compelling as well.
- One more reason for me to hate superheroes: DC Comics has hired homophobic zealot Orson Scott Card to pen the new “digitial-first” Superman book.
- Thanks to a Boing Boing! post from Cory Doctorow, I now have subscribed to Scott Sigler’s new weekly genre-related YouTube channel, Monstrosity. I’ve yet to see an episode but am always happy to find more things to distract and entertain!
- Chuck Wendig shares the hardest writerly truth. And you know, I have to agree with him.
- If you’re an author and would like me to purchase a copy of your book, leave a comment on this blog post.